Job type: 1 FTE (37.5 hours/week)
Apply by: February 28th, 2024
View PDF Job posting
About the Position:
As a member of the Governance and Strategy Department, the Governance Officer is responsible for all governance related activities of the College, including ensuring systems, processes, and tools are in place to support the Council and Committees in meeting their responsibilities. The Governance Officer provides governance support and guidance across the organization to enable the effective operation of all College Committees in accordance with the governing legislation, the College’s guiding principles, and strategic priorities. The Governance Officer oversees and supports the implementation of best practices and new governance processes to ensure continuous improvement and outcomes focused on equity, diversity, and inclusion.
The Governance Officer is responsible for providing leadership, guidance, and expertise in the development and implementation of equity, diversity, and inclusion strategies, policies, and practices across the College. The position will work closely with departments, Council and Committees to facilitate the integration of equity, diversity and inclusion across policies and programs, as well as the delivery of equity projects and initiatives. The Governance Officer is responsible for tracking and reporting on diversity, equity, and inclusion metrics.
- Leads and implements all aspects of Council and Executive Committee work, including but not limited to: meeting logistics, internal planning, onboarding and training of Council and Committee members, meeting material and report preparation, preparing and maintaining a record of Council and Executive minutes and tracking of decision implementation, Council election and Committee appointment processes, managing public member appointments, Council evaluation, and maintaining the virtual boardroom.
- Ensures that the College is meeting its governance obligations as defined in its governance policies and practices, including proactively identifying areas of non-compliance and recommending solutions.
- Drives governance modernization across the organization.
- Serves as the internal subject matter expert on governance policies, practices and processes and supports the development and implementation of new or revised governance policies and processes.
- Establishes and maintains effective and collaborative relationships with staff who support the various Committees to promote alignment and consistency across governance practices.
- Assists with budget development and monitors Council and Committee spending.
- Assists with report drafting for key reports such as the College Performance Measurement Framework.
- Supports with strategic and long-term planning for portfolios, and integration across organizational strategic and operational plans.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI)
- Provides leadership and expertise in the development, implementation and evaluation of organization-wide EDI strategies, framework, policies and practices.
- Facilitates and guides EDI efforts across the College.
- Develops and supports implementation of equity training and tools across departments.
- Conducts ongoing review and analysis of strategies and initiatives to identify specific issues and barriers and support ongoing learning and continuous implementation and improvement.
- Builds and maintains external partnerships to advance education, knowledge sharing and best practices.
- Creates performance metrics to measure accountability and progress of EDI efforts and initiatives.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Post-Secondary education in health policy, public administration, political science, law or related field or an equivalent combination of education and job experience in a related field.
- 5 to 7 years of work experience in a related field within a challenging regulatory, not-for-profit or similar environment is required.
- Experience working with Councils, Boards and/or Committees to implement and develop governance processes, policies and best practices.
- Experience in developing and implementing organization-wide EDI strategies, policies and practices.
- Experience in developing innovative solutions, including policy and procedural development, and strategic planning.
- Superior attention to detail and resourceful problem solving.
- Strong collaborator and ability to influence others without direct authority to achieve solutions to meet organization’s objectives and deliver results.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in understanding Ontario legislation and regulatory processes.
The Position Package Includes:
- Salary – $84,180 – $101,670 depending on experience
- Excellent benefits including vision and health insurance
- Three weeks paid vacation
- Personal/Sick Days offered
- One extra paid week off over the December Holidays
This is a collective bargaining unit position with AMAPCEO.
How to Apply:
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume to Lieran Docherty, Director of Operations at L.Docherty@cmo.on.ca by Wednesday, February 28th at 5pm. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and rolling interviews may be conducted.
At the College of Midwives of Ontario, we are committed to fostering a healthy, positive, diverse, and inclusive work environment. The College recognizes the value of lived, educational, and professional experience in skill building. If you are enthusiastic about this position and believe you have the capabilities and commitment to the objectives, requirements, and responsibilities of the role, but your qualifications do not align perfectly with every requirement in the job description, we encourage you to apply.
In accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, 1990, we encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the selection process. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform the hiring committee of any accommodations(s) you may require ensuring your equal participation.